Two new buildings were built in the exact location of the prior buildings and are almost identical in size. Our new rental and management office opened October 30, 2019 at 8701 Arliss Street #12.
What types of floor plans are in the new buildings? Most floor plans are similar in size as our established apartments. All have an ‘open concept’ layout with a combination living/dining/kitchen area to allow residents the maximum flexibility in using the space for their lifestyles. The 27 apartments are:
- 6 – One Bedroom + 1 Bath
- 8 – Two Bedrooms + 1 Bath
- 6 – Two Bedrooms + 2 Baths
- 2 – Two Bedrooms + Flex Space + 2 Baths
- 5 – Three Bedrooms + 2 Baths
What features are included? All new apartments were built to current code requirements and have durable, modern and attractive features and finishes that are easy to live with and maintain:
- covered balcony or patio
- full-size, side-by-side washer and electric dryer
- fully-equipped kitchen including electric range/oven, refrigerator with ice maker, dishwasher, disposal, and microwave with exhaust fan vented to the outside
- durable, easy-to-clean wood-look laminate floors throughout except the bedroom(s) which have carpet and bathroom(s), which have tile floors
- ceiling fan w/light in each bedroom
- recessed LED ceiling lights in all rooms except the bedrooms and bathrooms
- energy efficient electric heat, air conditioning and water heater
- individual electric meter and water meter
- construction specifications to meet current energy efficiency standards
- top floor apartments also have a vaulted ceiling and ceiling fan in the living/dining/kitchen area
- terrace level and first floor apartments are designed to meet Fair Housing accessibility guidelines
When will the new apartments be available to move in and how much is the rent? We are currently leasing only to our displaced leaseholders and other Flower Branch residents. Starting November 4 we can quote rents to the general public. Anyone interested should call us at 301-439-9630 so we may have your contact information. Starting November 25 we can start tours with the general public and we will post all remaining available apartments at FlowerBranchApartments.com
Are there plans to renovate the apartments in the existing buildings? We are currently focused on leasing our new buildings and managing the effects of the Purple Line construction. We will continually work to keep our existing buildings well-maintained and in good working order for our residents.
Will the rent at the existing apartments increase because of the new buildings? Any rent increase for a lease renewal is not related to the new buildings.
Why are the apartments in the new buildings all-electric? The decision to use electric (vs. gas) for heating, cooking, water heaters and clothes dryers was made because of efficiency, space constraints and ease of construction.
Do the new buildings have fire protection systems? Per current building codes, both buildings have sprinkler systems installed in all apartments, offices and common areas. Per current building codes, both buildings are built of materials that meet fire protection ratings.
What is the status of the lawsuits? We are unable to comment on the lawsuits while they are pending.
What is the status of the memorial near the new buildings? A permanent memorial outside the Rental Office was designed in collaboration with advocates for the victims’ families and other interested parties. In mid-November we expect installation of the granite pedestal and bronze plaque. The memorial plaza and seating area is complete.